This experiment illustrates the basic concepts of Fourier Analysis using simple experimental setup. We will also measure the propagation speed of thermal oscillations, analyze the heat equation and calculate the diffusivity of the material under consideration.
|Software Code||LabVIEW Data Acquisition file|
|Sample Results||Data sets acquired with a heater pulsed at 5 mHz and data taken at a sampling rate of 1 HzDiscrete fourier transform of data collected over 4500 seconds at 0.005 Hz. Note the presence of odd harmonics only.Complete temperature profile at 0.005 Hz. Dynamic equillibrium is reached after 2400 secondsDiscrete fourier transform of data collected over 5000 seconds at 0.02 Hz. Note that the harmonics vanish more quickly|
|Version||13 May 2015, 2015-v1|
Further Readings and References
- Fourier analysis of thermal diffusive waves American Journal of Physics , M. S. Anwar, J. Alam, M. Wasif, R. Ullah, S. Shamim, and W. Zia , 82 928 , (2014).
- An undergraduate experiment on the progagation of thermal waves American Journal of Physics , A. Bodas, V. Gandia and E. Lopez-Baeza , 66 528 , (1998).
- Concepts in Thermal Physics (OUP) , S. J. Blundell and K. M. Blundell 88 , (1st Edition).
- Energy propagation of thermal waves Euorpean Journal of Physics , Agust´ın Salazar , 27 1349 , (2006).
- What is a wave? NATURE , John A. Scales and Roel Snieder , 401 739 , (1999).